Monday, February 18, 2008

DW: The Big Pause

Here I am, 51 (hard to believe), and in the throes of menopause (almost impossible to believe).

For some reason I never thought that I'd have a hot flash. Nor did I believe that they could be that hot. Boy, was I wrong. It's really awful, and they only thing that's good is that I don't look as hot as I feel. Along with this is the worst part: insomnia.  

Before, I was able to fall asleep, then would wake-up at 2:10 am. Now, no matter how tired I am, I can't fall asleep. It's maddening. Right now I'm relying on Ambien to get me through until I uncover something else. I may go on hormones, but I'm not sure about that until some blood tests come back.

I just came back from the endocrinologist and while I officially have hypothyroidism, my thyroid levels are normal. So the insomnia, forgetfulness, dry skin, hair thinning, libido suppression, skin rashes, etc. will not be alleviated by thyroid supplementation, because I apparently have enough. 

If anyone has any advice, please send it on!

No comments: