Saturday, December 1, 2007

SS: More Dorothy Parker!

A few days ago, I posted an entry that I wrote in anger. There is nothing wrong with writing when you are angry. However, I feel that I didn’t channel my angry correctly with this post. I meant to goad people into seeing things from another perspective. But I feel that I came off as more vicious than “eye opening.” I think it’s important to show people different perspectives. I want people to look at the meaning behind images in the media as well as what people say to other people. Language is inherently political. It is a script. I want people to examine this script.

I need time to think about these ideas. So I’m going to replace this post for the time being. I want to revise it completely. In the meantime, I’m going to offer one of my favorite Dorothy Parker poems as well as one of my favorite quotes from her (thanks for the inspiration, Wendy!). It sort of matches my holiday mood.

"Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania."

--Dorothy Parker

And here’s a bonus quote:

“Ducking for apples - change one letter and it's the story of my life.”

--Dorothy Parker

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! You really sound bitter. I don't have kids either. Not by choice, I just never married and I guess I'm one of those weirdo Christian women who thinks it's a good idea to love and be married to the father of one's children. It's good for the children, it's good for the husband and wife and it's good for society in general. Look, having children, whether you have them naturally or adopt them really does change you (or should anyway) whether you want to admit it or not. I sure would never criticize you for not having kids. Some people definitely should never have kids. If I had children, I hope I would be one of those annoying "Breeders" [how vile and offensive is that term?] who say "My kids are the most important thing in my life".