Thursday, December 6, 2007

DW: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Christmas is upon us. 

The thought of looking for scarves for my mother-in-law does not inspire me, nor does getting organized for the whole Christmas bonanza. Having said that, there are moments of this holiday that I do enjoy and feel very moved by. Specifically, walking by a Christmas tree kiosk and getting the first whiff of holiday pine and cooking a special dinner for Christmas Eve. I'm not sure why, but Christmas Day is sort of irrelevant to me. I find that it is impossible to manifest the ambiance that one can create the night before, when it's dark and cold and the house is lit by candles and smells like baked apples and roasted onions. That to me is magical.

I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport now after a three day meeting that has left my sinuses dry and sore and my energy level flagging. We're on our way to Berkeley to visit friends, bookstores, Molinari's, and The Cheese Board.  

This was a difficult week work-wise. We had to terminate someone I was genuinely fond of, and I now must absorb a lot of that work in addition to my own overly-committed plate. I mentally debated the decision for hours in-flight and decided that the milk was not only sour, but it was lumpy, and should definitely not be put back in the fridge.

Back to Christmas. It is indeed a blessing to be able to shop online as well as live in a place that has stores with things that are nice and affordable. My goal is not to step foot in any mall over the next few weeks. 

So, I guess I'll visit Amazon later and order "Berlin Alexanderplatz" for my Fassbinder-fan husband.

No comments: