Friday, July 11, 2008

HC: My Upcoming 3D Journey

Today my kids, husband, and I are going to the movies to see Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D. It's a remake (sort of) of one of our most enjoyed family movies. The 1959 version starred James Mason, Arlene Dahl, and Pat Boone, and had huge lizard monsters--you know the kind, with the fin glued to its back. By the way, did you know that apparently there's an ocean in the center of the earth? Pretty cool, huh?

I rarely go to the movies any more. It's just so expensive. Netflix costs $18 and I can see 10 movies, TV shows, and documentaries a month. Today's trip will cost $44. But I feel the 3D thing is certainly worth seeing in the movies.

Do you remember when some 3D movies were shown on TV? I think it was in the 80s. One of the films was Gorilla at Large, with a very young Anne Bancroft. I got my free cardboard glasses from a 7/11 store, and got my headache as soon as the movie started. However, you could really see that one person was behind another. I don't love the "let's throw things at the screen and make the audience duck" stuff, but I do love the depth. I realize that Brendan Fraser and his costars are very likely going to be hurling things at me on a regular basis. If the 3D is as good as it is in some films at DisneyWorld, I'll be ducking a lot.

At DisneyWorld there's a 3D movie about Donald Duck conducting an orchestra. I don't remember why, but the instruments come to life and inhabit clips of other Disney movies, such as Peter Pan and Aladdin. The 3D was amazing, and I had a jolt not just from the front of my head: the little girl in back of me reached out to grab whatever 3D thing was in her face, and grabbed the back of my head!
I'll write a review when I come back from the movie. Fingers crossed it's a lot of fun!!

No comments: